Multi – modal terminal inaugurated over the Haldia – Varanasi stretch
• On August 12, 2016, Union Minister, Nitin Gadkari, laid the foundation stone for a multi – modal terminal at Varanasi.
• This initiative flagged off a special project for the run of two vessels, carrying Maruti Suzuki cars and construction materials.
• The two vessels, namely MV Joy Vasudev and MV Vivi Giri, weighing 1400 tonnes and 300 tonnes respectively, were flagged off from the Aghoreshwar Bhagan Ram Ghat, Varanasi, at 11 am.
• Cargo to be handled at the terminals includes fertilizers, sugar, stone chips, cement and food grains.
• The terminals will have added facilities like parking lots, transit sheds and storage sites, along with a floating jetty for commuting passengers.
• The first phase of this project would cover the Haldia – Varanasi stretch.
• This project, named as the Jal Marg Vikas Project bears an estimated cost of Rs. 4,200 crore and includes construction of new terminals at Varanasi, Haldia and Sahibganj, new state – of – the – art navigational lock at Farakka, besides a modern River Information System (RIS).
• The contract for the construction has been offered to AFCONS Infrastructure Ltd., at an estimated cost of 170 crore and will be completed by August 2018.
[sociallocker id=62][wpdm_package id=’141′][/sociallocker]