Last updated on April 22nd, 2020 at 05:26 pm
Premji, Nadar: World’s richest!
*Despite a tumultuous year for the stock market, the tech tycoons had a gala time.
*The titans on Forbes second annual list of the world richest in technology are worth a
combined $892 billion, six per cent more, than a year ago.
*Wipro Chairman Azim Premji and HCL co-founder Shiv Nadar are the only two billionaires
from India in Forbes list of the world’s 100 richest people in technology, ranking in the top
20. They are ahead of Google boss Eric Schmidt and Uber CEO Travis Kalanick, as on 11 th
*The ‘100 Richest Tech Billionaires In The World 2016 list has been topped by Microsoft
Bill Gates with an estimated fortune of $78 billion.
*Premji ranks 13th on the top list with a net worth of $16 billion and Nadar features on the 17th
spot with $11.6 billion of net worth.
Dipa Karmakar, Indian gymnast, does the Nation proud.
* In her debut in the Rio Olympics, Dipa Karmakar scripted history, as she became the first
Indi to qualify for the individual vault finals, on August 8.
* After a nervous start, the young India composed herself and eventually became the first
Indian female gymnast to secure 14, 850 points, after performing her trademark ‘Produnova’
* Dipa secured 7.000 on difficulty and 8.1 on execution in her first attempt. Her points for
difficulty was a tad lower at 6.ooo in the second attempt.
* Three-time world all-round champion Simone Biles topped the charts with a sensational
* Hailing from Tripura, this young athlete did India proud on the 8 th August.
Former Arunachal CM Kalikho Pul found dead
•After being removed from the Arunachal CM position, Kalikho Pul was suffering from
• On the morning of August, 9, Kalikho, aged 47, was found hanging from a ceiling fan in the
bedroom, in the CM bungalow, which he was about to vacate.
• Circumstances behind the death are still unclear. However, investigation has led to the
discovery of a suicide note.
• Pul is survived by three wives and four kids
• As the news of Pul’s death spread, all the MLAs from the ruling Congress and the opposition
parties, ministers, friends and members of public rushed to the bungalow.
• PM Modi offered condolences on Pul’s demise. The current Arunachal Pradesh CM is Pema
Khandu, who was sworned in on 16 th July
No beating India in chess!
• Grandmaster and former world junior champion Abhijeet Gupta has won the 20th
Common wealth Chess championship crown 2016 held in Colombo, Sri Lanka, August 8.
• This victory resulted in Gupta retaining the Commonwealth Chess Championship title which
was won by the defending champion lat year in the 19 th edition
• In the senior category, all the medals edition were won by the Indian contingent, as
International Master Tania Sachdeva bagged gold too; while Grandmasters S L Narayanan
and Deep Chakkravarthy won the silver and the bronze respectively.
K B Hanumantharayappa – 25 th Chairman of Central Skill Board
• On 8 th August, K B Hanumantharayappa was inducted as the Chairman of the Central Silk
Board, Union Ministry of Textiles, for tenure of three years.
• Hanumantharayappa is the 25 th Chairman of the Central Silk Board.
• Hailing from a traditional silk – weaving family in Karnataka, besides being a sericulturist
and a weaver, Hanumantharayappa is also a senior political persona from the BJP.
• He is born and brought up in Doddaballapura.
• Among many honorary associations, some worth mentioning are his service as Chairman of
the Karnataka Silk Marketing Board during 2010 – 2013 and President of Karnataka State
Nekarara Horata Samiti.
Iron Sharmila’s protest against the Armed Forces ends.
• 44 – year old Irom Chanu Sharmila had been fasting since last 16 years, protesting against
the anarchy spread in Manipur due to the Armed Forces.
• Sharmila, hailing from Manipur, had demanded repeal of the Armed Forces since 2000.
• The lion – hearted lady’s appeal have been heard and she would break her fast on the
morning of 9 th August, before a judicial magistrate, following which she would be released
from the judicial custody.
• To ensure that the iconic rights activist is alive, she was forcibly fed through a nasal tube
• The family and her supporters, who have not been able to meet her since July 26 when she
announced her decision to end her fast and enter politics to ensure that AFSPA is repealed
through political means, have no idea where she is going to stay from now on.